Pupillary Distance (PD)
How to Add Pupillary Distance (PD) to Your Prescription File
The average adult’s PD is between 54-74 mm; kids' are between 43-58 mm.
Why Is It Important?
Measure The Distance
MEASURING YOUR OWN PD
Stand 8 in. away from the mirror.
With your face straight, hold the ruler against your brow.
Close your right eye and align the ruler’s zero to the center of your left pupil.
While looking straight, close your left eye and open your right eye.
Read the mm line that lines up with the center of your right pupil. This number is your PD.
A Few Things to Note
- Measure your PD 3-4 times to ensure it's accurate and consistent.
- Range of Adult PD: 54-74 mm
- Range of Child PD: 43-58 mm
- Have them crouch/sit while you stand so they are out of your field of vision.
- Keep your eyes as still as possible.
- Look above his/her head at something approximately 10-20 ft. away.
- Do not look at the person measuring!